- Department for Environment Constructions and Design
- Course director
- Pietro Vitali
- Qualification awarded
- Bachelor of Arts SUPSI in Interior Design
- Course type
- Full-time course (180 ECTS over three years)
- Admission is subject to passing an aptitude test aimed at evaluating the artistic and creative skills of applicants.
- Application fee
- A CHF 100 fee must be paid when the application is made. This fee is not reimbursable, and cannot be deducted from the semester fee.
- Course fee
- The semester fee amounts to CHF 1,600. This sum is reduced to CHF 800 for students who benefit from the application of the ASUP Intercantonal Agreement for Vocational Universities (Swiss nationality or civil and fiscal domicile in Switzerland or in Liechtenstein). Specific agreements apply for students residing in Campione d’Italia.
- Start date
- 18 September 2017
- Application deadline
- 15 April 2017
- The programme aims at training professional operators who can engage with the various specialist fields and who can maintain their bearings in a situation of constant flux.
The course focuses mainly on the following areas:
– interior design of new and existing buildings;
– furnishing of residential and urban spaces;
– exhibition and museum preparation;
– lighting design.
Graduates from the three year bachelor course in Interior Design can apply design methods in order to alter and delineate existing or newly constructed spaces. The term "spaces" encompasses dwelling, public and private spaces, in the broad sense.
More specifically, graduates must possess strong specialist, methodological, social and personal skills that will allow them to:
- execute projects with an effective communicative and expressive dimension, developing the specific languages of the subject;
- create designs using the technical and technological tools currently available;
- know how to construct a complete vision, making it possible to bring together diverse elements at different levels (technical, financial, historical and cultural) in a rational and coherent manner;
- know how to interpret and resolve the needs of the customer and those of society;
- be able to collaborate with other people operating in an interdisciplinary context.
As in the other Swiss SUP institutions in the arts and design sector, admission to the bachelor course is subject to passing an aptitude test aimed at evaluating the artistic and creative skills of applicants. Students with school leaving examination from an artistic (MPA) or technical (MPT) high school in a discipline related to the field of study, or with school leaving examination from an artistic grammar school or from a five-year artistic high school (Italy), diploma in surveying (Italy) or industrial construction expert diploma (Italy) are granted direct admittance to the aptitude test, while those with school leaving examination from a general secondary school or from other vocational secondary schools must first complete either one year of on-the-job experience, recognised by SUPSI, in a field related to the selected course of study, or a foundation year at a Swiss art college. Applicants aged more than 25 and who lack these qualifications may be admitted provided they have significant training and work experience.
A Bachelor degree in interior design qualifies graduates to work in specialist professional interior design studios; in exhibition and museum preparation etc.; in lighting and furniture design. They are often welcome collaborators in architecture studios, where they can contribute their specific skills, and job opportunities can also be found in exhibition organisation companies operating in the commercial sector.
Interior designers work mainly in cities, which are nowadays increasingly consolidated and which at the same time are in a state of continuous flux, where the internal transformation of existing structures has become progressively more common and necessary.
This very situation is furnishing interior designers with a strongly growing, diversified and complex area of operations.
Naturally, the SUP three-year bachelor’s degree in interior design also qualifies graduates for admission to master’s degree programmes and to post-graduate courses on the work conducted by design studios, public services and construction companies.