- Conservatory of Southern Switzerland
- Course director
- Ellen Frau
- Qualification awarded
- Master of Arts SUPSI in Music Pedagogy
- Course type
- Full-time course (120 ECTS over two years)
- Application fee
- The application fee amounts to CHF 100.
- Course fee
- One-off registration fee CHF 250. Master semester fees CHF 1'500. Residents fees CHF 750. Administration fee CHF 250.
- Start date
- 11 September 2017
- Application deadline
- 31 March 2017
- The aim of this Master’s programme is to help train students to operate in the field of music pedagogy.
This is a specialist course with two different Majors: Instrument/Voice Teaching or Elementary Musical Education.
The Instrument/Voice Teaching course qualifies graduates to teach instrument/voice as a specific subject and, in addition to the pedagogical-psychological-didactic component, also includes a significant element of performance. The Major in Elementary Musical Education qualifies graduates to teach music to children aged between 4 and 12. The teaching qualification required for public schools varies from Canton to Canton.
- Bachelor of Arts in Music or an equivalent musical education;
- pass an admission examination;
a BA degree does not automatically guarantee admission to the MA programme since the admission examination is compulsory for all applicants. Applicants with equivalent BA qualifications from other universities will receive equal treatment.
Graduates with a Major in Instrument/Voice Teaching work as instrument/voice teachers in music schools. This is the only instrument and voice teaching qualification recognised all over Switzerland. Graduates with a Major in Elementary Musical Education work as music teachers for children aged between 4 and 12, chiefly in music schools. Traditional courses, like “Musical Initiation”, “Rhythm”, “Elementary Music Course”, “Elementary Musical Education” etc. Are indeed fundamental components of Swiss music school programmes.