Ticinoscienza activities include the proposals made by Science et Cité, a Swiss foundation established with the aim of promoting the dialogue between science and citizens. In Ticino, the Foundation conducts studies on the “science and society” relationship, and disseminates research projects carried out by the University of Southern Switzerland (USI) and by the University of Applied Sciences of Southern Switzerland (SUPSI). Together with the City of Lugano (Municipal Schools Administration) it has developed the “L’ideatorio” science centre.
Focus on research: monographic documents dedicated to research projects currently being conducted in Southern Switzerland, and particularly those conducted by the University of Southern Switzerland and by the University of Applied Sciences of Southern Switzerland.
Science and society: notes and studies on the relationship between citizens, institutions, science and communication.
Local and international science communication projects. Ranging from attendance at science festivals to projects financed by EU framework programmes.
L’ideatorio: providing the opportunity to encounter science in an informal manner, outside the school environment, with the aim of arousing wonder and desire; instruments for exploring and understanding our world by means of simple, everyday phenomena.
- Science centre: based in Castagnola, organises annual interactive scientific exhibitions.
- Biolab: a biology laboratory designed for primary and middle schools.
- Scientific holidays: camps combining science and enjoyment, holiday and curiosity.
- Astronomical planetarium.
- Other activities: laboratories for schools, organised activities at science festivals.